You probably have conversations with your technicians all the time about equipment at your customer’s sites, but have you ever considered having a conversation directly with the equipment instead? While we aren’t quite there yet (but we are working on it!) you can have the next best thing, by having a conversation with the manufacturer’s manual for a piece of equipment.
AI can take pretty large documents as context for your questions, simply by uploading the PDF to ChatGPT and then starting your chat. Here’s an example, using a 126-page Dunkirk boiler manual as context.
The AI Prompt
Give me a recurring maintenance schedule with required parts based on the manufacturer’s recommendations in the attached manual for a Dunkirk DCC-205 boiler.
The Output from ChatGPT
The Dunkirk DCC-205 boiler manual provides a detailed maintenance schedule, which should be performed by a qualified service technician. Here’s a summary of the recurring maintenance tasks and required parts:
Yearly Maintenance Schedule
- Check boiler and system piping for leakage and ensure pipes are properly supported.
- Check condition of all vent pipes and joints.
- Verify vent piping terminations are free of obstructions and blockages.
3. Safety Relief Valve
- Follow the valve manufacturer’s instructions for maintenance and repair.
- Verify discharge pipe installation as per the Installation and Operation Manual (IOM).
- Perform a full visual inspection of all system components.
- Test all functions of the system (heating and safety).
- Verify safe settings on boiler or anti-scald valve.
- Verify programmed temperature settings.
- Check wire connections and ensure they are tight.
- Verify smoke and CO detectors are installed and working properly, changing batteries if necessary.
- Check that the circuit breaker is clearly labeled and operates correctly.
- Check burner and combustion chamber; clean as directed in the IOM.
- Replace gaskets when checking the combustion chamber.
- Clean the spark electrode and set the gap according to IOM directions.
- Clean the flame sensor.
- Check and replace the condensate neutralizer if necessary.
- Clean the condensate pipe/trap and ensure proper flow and connection.
- Measure incoming gas pressure as per IOM.
- Check gas piping for leaks and signs of aging.
- Ensure all pipes are properly supported.
- Check CO and CO₂ levels in exhaust as per the Start-up Procedures.
- Verify the continuity of all sensors and replace if corroded.
- Gaskets for the combustion chamber.
- Replacement parts for any detected leaks or damages in piping, vent, or electrical systems.
- New batteries for smoke and CO detectors, if necessary.
- Condensate neutralizer replacement, if required.
- Continue inspections beyond the 4th year; maintenance should continue annually for the life of the boiler to ensure safe, worry-free operation.
- All maintenance should be documented with the date of completion.
This schedule is based on typical maintenance requirements and should be adjusted based on the boiler’s operating conditions and environment. For specific part numbers and more detailed procedures, refer to the Dunkirk DCC-205 boiler manual.
First Follow-up Prompt: Create a Technician Task List
“Create a task list for my technician to perform this required work, breaking it up into separate lists by service frequency if needed (for example: Annual Service, Quarterly Service, etc…). The tasks should be as brief as possible and presented in bullet-point format.”
First follow-up Prompt: Technician Task List Output
Annual Service Tasks
- Inspect boiler and system piping for leaks.
- Check pipe supports for integrity.
- Inspect vent pipes and joints.
- Ensure vent terminations are unobstructed.
- Safety Relief Valve
- Perform maintenance as per manufacturer’s instructions.
- Check discharge pipe installation.
- System Inspection
- Conduct a visual inspection of all system components.
- Test heating and safety functions.
- Verify boiler/anti-scald valve settings.
- Check programmed temperature settings.
- Tighten wire connections.
- Test smoke and CO detectors; replace batteries if needed.
- Check circuit breaker labeling and function.
- Inspect and clean burner and combustion chamber.
- Replace combustion chamber gaskets.
- Clean and adjust spark electrode.
- Clean flame sensor.
- Inspect and replace condensate neutralizer if needed.
- Clean condensate pipe/trap; ensure proper flow.
- Measure incoming gas pressure.
- Inspect gas piping for leaks and aging.
- Check pipe support.
- Combustion Analysis
- Measure CO and CO₂ levels in exhaust.
- Check and replace sensors if corroded.
Quarterly Service Tasks
For the Dunkirk DCC-205 boiler, the manual does not specifically mention quarterly tasks. However, it’s a good practice to perform a brief visual inspection and check for any obvious issues or irregularities with the system on a quarterly basis.
Immediate Response. Address any leaks, unusual noises, or operational issues as soon as they are noticed.
Second Follow-Up Prompt: Create a Proposal Summary
Take the information above and generate a summary that would be presentable as a proposal to a building facility manager to help us win a bid for performing this work on a recurring contract basis.
Second Follow-Up Prompt: Create a Proposal Summary Output
Proposal for Recurring Maintenance Services for Dunkirk DCC-205 Boiler
We are pleased to submit our proposal for the recurring maintenance of your Dunkirk DCC-205 boiler. Our team of certified technicians is committed to delivering top-notch service, ensuring the longevity and efficiency of your boiler system.
Scope of Services
Our comprehensive maintenance program is designed to meet and exceed the manufacturer’s recommendations for the Dunkirk DCC-205 boiler. Our service includes:
- Annual Service:
- Thorough inspection and maintenance of piping, venting, and electrical systems.
- Checking and adjusting the safety relief valve as per manufacturer’s guidelines.
- Complete system inspection including testing of heating and safety functions, and verifying valve and temperature settings.
- Chamber and burner inspection, cleaning, and necessary adjustments.
- Neutralizer and condensate system maintenance.
- Pressure and gas system checks, including leak detection and pipe support inspection.
- Combustion analysis to ensure optimal efficiency and safety.
- Quarterly Service:
- Regular visual inspections to identify and address any potential issues early.
- As Needed:
- Immediate response to any emergent issues, ensuring minimal downtime and disruption.
- Expertise: Our technicians are extensively trained and experienced in the specific needs of the Dunkirk DCC-205 boiler.
- Safety and Efficiency: Regular maintenance ensures the safe and efficient operation of your boiler, reducing the risk of costly breakdowns.
- Compliance: We adhere strictly to the manufacturer’s guidelines, ensuring that your system remains within warranty specifications.
- Documentation: Detailed service logs are maintained for every visit, providing clear records for your facility’s maintenance history.
Commitment to Quality
We pride ourselves on delivering quality service with minimal disruption to your operations. Our team is equipped with the latest tools and technology to provide efficient and thorough service.
Our proposal represents not just a maintenance service, but a partnership to ensure the longevity and reliability of your Dunkirk DCC-205 boiler. We look forward to the opportunity to serve your facility and are confident that our dedication to quality and efficiency will contribute significantly to the smooth operation of your heating system.We welcome any questions or further discussions about how we can meet your facility’s specific needs. Thank you for considering our proposal.
How many years of expertise and hours of a seller’s time did we just skip by using documentation supplied by the manufacturer to begin a scope of work for this piece of equipment? When you consider the scale of commercial and industrial facilities, the time savings from using AI becomes pretty clear.
What do you think? We’d love to hear from you in the comments.